Monday, September 26, 2011

Rhino Revisited

The other night in my deepest slumber, I must have been dreaming about our wonderful rhino who are in desperate need of intervention by us from the incensed poachers and users of rhino horn. Seen we had just celebrated World Rhino Day, I thought it might have been the reason that these shy, prehistoric looking beasts were playing on my mind. I made a concious effort to hold onto my vision so that I could portray the idea on paper the next morning. 

I did something out of the ordinary and rummaged around for a box of willow charcoals I have had around for about 40 odd years. I think the last time I picked up a piece of charcoal was 38 years ago but I knew I had to use with them for my idea. A few weeks ago I attended a fantastic demo on 'Using Blacks" with South African artist Meriel May in which she showed us various mediums using only black. One demo was with charcoals which I thoroughly enjoyed and thought I'd try my hand at my rhino subjects with this medium.

I am still a bit rusty at this, but was so please when my rhino came to life on my paper. I need to play and experiment a little  more with texture, but all in all, I think these are pretty neat for someone who hasn't held a piece of charcoal in all these years. I'd also like to try and mix this medium with watercolour and see what effects I achieve. But for now I'd like to just sit and admire this work for a while and think of how I can make it more appealing!

First attempt, without a preliminary sketch of a rather long rhino



No pre-sketch, just straight in with the charcoal.




Bye for now,I'm off to sketch another animal......!



11 comments:

Absolute nonsense blog said...

Wonderful!

martinealison said...

Ma chère Debbie, c'est une agréable surprise que de te lire et d'admirer ce bien beau rhinocéros... Toutes mes félicitations pour cette réalisation faite au fusain qui n'est pas ta tasse de thé!
Je suis très impatiente de découvrir tes prochaines oeuvres... j'aime tant ces animaux... Tu as su particulièrement capturer cet oeil avec ce regard qui est si particulier chez eux...
Gros bisous

Crystal Cook said...

These are beatufiul Debbie! Such feeling in these powerful beasts. :) Do you know if anyone has rhino photos that artist's could use to paint from, I'd like to paint one and help with the rhinos but I don't have any photos of them.

Sandra Busby said...

I just LOVE working with that soft, velvety willow charcoal - It's one of my favourite mediums to use :0) There is something about it isn't there? These drawings are superb! Absolutely amazing :0D

Debbie said...

Thank you so much for your wonderful responses Martine, Crystal and Sandra. The last time I picked up a charcoal stick was ages ago. So, I really enjoyed getting my fingers black and I like the outcome (for a novice). Thanks once again for your positive feedback and think I'll do more :) Watch this space!.......

Debbie said...

Vanessa.... thank you too for your warm message!

martinealison said...

Je te souhaite tous mes voeux pour 2012 avec de gros bisous

Cathy said...

Wow, VERY impressive!! Did you use a photo as a starting point, or is it straight from your memory?

minnemie said...

WOW... fantasties! Uitstekend! SO glad I found you. Excellent work all over the place.

Polly Birchall said...

Just started a blog and have been looking at other blogs and came across yours. Love your work. I see you have been on a workshop with Hazel Soan. I have been lucky enough to go to Workshops in London and Courses in Europe. She is a joy both, her painting techniques and her as a person. Your site is one I will be keeping my eye on! Sorry if I'

Unknown said...

I Love this article,very Impressive article,thanks for sharing us...