Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Happy Anniversary !

Well, I'm still around and happy to report that I'm now slowly getting back into painting again after what seems like an age. The last few months have been quite exhausting and busy to say the least and I have really missed my painting. The World Cup Soccer has long passed and visitors have all safely returned home. My stepdaughter's wedding  in the USA went off wonderfully and I can safely say we are over our jet lag and ready for the final haul of 2010.

As I type, spring is about to pounce on us and have already noticed that some trees in my garden have started shooting. Sadly, I missed a few little Daffodils in my garden that came into bloom when I was away. Does this mark my 1st year anniversary of my blog? I remember my very first post on my blog, it was a photo of my first Daffodil of the year. Gosh how time flies!  It seems like it was yesterday! May I take this opportunity in thanking all my wonderful blogger friends who have so diligently popped in and left me inspiration and goodwill comments on my work over the past year. You guys are great, and I appreciate your time. THANK YOU!

I have the WSSA (Watercolour Society of South Africa) 84th National exhibition coming up in September and I need to get some paintings done to submit for it. Unfortunately, I have hit a blank wall for ideas at the moment so will have to really channel my energies into that over the next day or so. Wish me luck!




Lastly, What's a blog without an image.......? This painting I leave you with was a little bit of playing just before I left for the States. I have never tried this before and had so much fun creating it. I laid tissue paper in strips onto 300gsm watercolour paper with Gesso and washed watercolour pigments over the dried paper. The textures it made were quite inspiring. What came from it looks like crags and crevices with  foothills in the foreground. What do you say? Could this be somewhere in the Drakensberg mountain range in KwaZulu Natal? Anyway, wherever this painting takes you -  hope you enjoy it.

Have a wonderful week, what's left of it!

6 comments:

Sandra Busby said...

Lovely to have you back Debbie!
Add a lighthouse to the top and it would look just like the foot of Beachy-Head cliffs, which is near where I live. It's very effective! Good luck with the exhibition :0)

Debbie said...

Thank you Sandra.Isn't painting so wonderful?.... here, you see a seaside cliff in the UK and others will see some place else! The imagination is a wonder to us all.
As of yet, it has no title.... we wait and see!

Cathy Gatland said...

Congratulations on your one year blog anniversary Debbie, look forward to many more! This cliff 'play' painting is wonderful, maybe inspiration for the WSSA exhibition? I need to think about that too <:-/

Debbie said...

Food for thought Cathy, Thanks for popping by. Love to see you enter a few pieces !

AK said...

You are lucky to be living in South Africa. I am sure there must be so much around to inspire you. Have heard so much about the landscape of Cape Town. Your blog is very interesting. Your watercolors are fabulous. Keep posting.

Debbie said...

Hi Asit.. thank you for popping in and leaving such a lovely comment. South Africa has wonderful opportunities for painting. Rich in colour, texture and wildlife. Cape Town is rich in wonderful landscapes Are you planning to come? And Yes, I am truly blessed, SA is really a colourful nation!